Tuesday, November 26, 2013

When you know exactly how they feel....

My little Rocco has timid tendencies...he's what the professionals call, "slow to warm."  He's cautious, self-aware, a little anxious and gets overwhelmed easily by noise and movement.  So....I know EXACTLY how he feels.  We went to a birthday party this weekend at the noisy bowling alley for a little rambunctious friend from the neighborhood.  Rocco hid and refused to join in...Matt tried to encourage him and he refused.  I watched him carefully and wondered how to help.  It took me a few minutes to recognize myself in him and then all I had to do was think about what would have helped me....so I called him over and said, "I know exactly how you feel...it's kinda scary to only know one person at a party huh?  He agreed.  I labeled his feelings and validated them.  We talked about feeling nervous and how it feels weird in your tummy...and then I reminded him how new things can be scary at first and then we get comfortable because it's not so new anymore.  Just like preschool, which he absolutely loves...so off he went to bowl and play.  He never fully immersed himself with the rambunctious crew but he found the courage to play...and relax.  And it did my heart good!  
My sweet boy in his homemade Turkey hat!  Did I mention we LOVE his teacher! :)

1 comment:

Lisa said...

This story warmed my heart! You are such an incredible mother to even recognize what he needed, giving him the space from the crowd and helping him learn about his emotions. What a lucky little guy to have you and Matt as parents!